Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Un-simplifying Life

I did something last month that really complicated my life.  Anti-simplification.  Extra work and frustration.  More worry and expense.  This seems to go against everything I believe in.  But I did it anyway.  Actually, we did it: we got a dog.  I swore I'd never have another dog in this lifetime.  I was waiting until the next one, you know, when they are designed without tongues, butts, or fur.  What got into me?

I guess my desire to focus on the family, spend more time doing what the kids are interested in, that kind of thing is what prompted it all.  The kids have been asking for a dog for years.  Our last dog was really out to get me.  Her name wasn't Betsy Bad Dog for no reason.  She had a personal vendetta against me--and I against her as a result.  So it happened I swore off dogs.

And now we have one. 



Result: the laughter, fun, excitement, and cooperation in our house has doubled.  Sometimes you have to do a little bit of work in order to create a happy experience.  Shaun and I were discussing similar things this past weekend and our discussion prompted him to use his Christmas money on games to play as a family.  I was impressed by that and so spent hours of my precious Sunday (my favorite day of the week) putting puzzles together with the kids and reading stories.  And it was the best Sunday I've had in a long time.  I have high hopes for this dog. 

P.S. He doesn't always wear a tie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment