Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Food #2

Like I said in the last post, I have pared down my diet, eliminating or reducing the extraneous things in an effort to improve health.  I would rather tweak my diet and lifestyle than seek out medication or medical procedures.  I go to the doctor and I trust my doctor, but I truly believe that God blessed us with lots of ways to heal our minds and bodies, only one of them being medicine.

Let's talk about sugar.  I admit that I am a sugar addict.  I crave it, I lack self-control around it, and once I start on it, I can't stop.  I tried to reduce my sugar intake to no avail. A little bit made me want more.  So I decided to cut it out.  I tried several times, all the while telling myself I couldn't do it because I'm too much of a chocoholic.  But I finally did it with a few exceptions:  I eat sweets on special occasions, and I haven't cut out occasional quality dark chocolate.  I think it's my release valve and I justify it with all the health claims.

The first few days after divorcing myself from sugar are the worst--the withdrawal hits.  I get intense cravings and I get grumpy.  But after that the need disappears.  A tempting sweet can lure me, but I have few self-initiated cravings.  The habit is still there, but the physical yearning is gone.

So while I can avoid candy and other stuff like that, I had to figure out how to cook and bake without sugar.  I have used honey for awhile now, but in some applications the flavor is too strong and alters the taste of the food.  I use stevia and agave nectar with success.  Stevia works well in small amounts only.  I tried using it in a recipe that called for about 1/3 cup of sugar and the off-taste was too present.  But I can make a great cup of hot cocoa with a packet of stevia.  I use agave nectar when I want to replace sugar without the honey taste and the amount is more than a few teaspoons.  I make all my quick breads (pancakes, muffins, banana bread, etc.) with agave or honey and the texture is the same.  I think the flavor is a little less sweet, but that may be due to the fact that I use less honey or agave than sugar in the recipe because I am trying to refine my kids' taste for super sweet foods.

Last week I decided to try out cookies.  I thought it'd be an experiment where I'd have to make the same recipe multiple times trying to get it right.  I made a peanut blossom recipe with agave.  I had to add a little bit more flour because the dough was too soft, but they came out great.  I was pleasantly surprised with how well they turned out.  My kids had no idea they were 100% whole wheat and sugar-free (with the exception of the Hershey kiss on top--it's all about presentation, right?).

There are arguments that sugar substitutes are chemically equivalent to sugar and our bodies react in the same way to them, so why switch?  I don't know the answers to all of that, but I do know that even if it's true, I am less likely to overdo it on a food made with honey than I would be with candy or brownies.

The hardest part of this new sugar-free life is a group situation that involves dessert, for example going out for ice cream as a family, or attending an event where dessert is served.  At these times I use my discretion.  Sometimes I abstain and sometimes I use my exception option (see paragraph 2).

The benefits from this decision are many.  I feel like I am still gradually discovering them.  The biggest one for me is the reduction in my dependence on sweets.  Another unexpected benefit:  my body requires less sleep and I feel more alert during the day.  I used to nod off when I sat down to read stories to kids and if I didn't get 8+ hours per night I was tired and had a hard time dragging out of bed.  That has changed.  I haven't had a nap since I began this seriously (I want to take one just for fun though--I miss that delicious sun-coming-in-the-window afternoon nap).  I like to think that I'm more healthy in general as well.  Since I haven't lost any weight, that means my caloric level has remained constant.  So the calories I used to eat in sugar are now being consumed by more healthy foods and that's definitely an advantage.  And finally, the psychological benefit:  the success of conquering an addiction that I was slave to has strengthened me.  I did something I thought was impossible for me.  Have you ever tried to cut something out?  How did it go?

No comments:

Post a Comment