Sunday, April 15, 2012

Food

I need to simplify somewhere in order to find more time to write!  I thought I'd share what I've been doing with my diet lately.  It's been a long process, but I have slowly eliminated or reduced what I deem the "extras"--refined sugar, preservatives, food colors, white flour, and most recently dairy.

I was raised on a simple diet of made-from-scratch meals and lots of fruits and vegetables.  I was always jealous of the kids who had Wonder Bread and Ding Dongs in their lunch boxes.  But I am grateful for the foundation my mom laid for us early of a wholesome diet with few processed foods.

My earliest big change was to nearly eliminate refined flour.  It's a known fact that whole grains are where it's at where nutrition is concerned.  I bake our bread and most of our treats and other 'carbs' with whole wheat flour.  If you can grind your own white wheat (which is a lighter wheat) or find a good quality whole wheat pastry flour, you can create fantastic baked goods with a nutritional edge.  It makes me feel better about fulfilling my maternal duty to provide my kids with homemade cookies when they are whole wheat.  I started early enough in their lives that they didn't notice and now are used to it, but if you are starting later in the game, go gradually so you don't have a revolt.  My husband has a more sensitive palate and can tell the difference, but I figure it's a small sacrifice to make in flavor for a big investment in health.

Unfortunately most baked goods you can buy in the store are not 100% whole grain, so I don't buy them very often.  They have become a special treat rather than our daily fare.  And they are now more special since they are rare.

Eating foods that are nearest their natural state is the best (and sometimes most simplest) way to eat.  Nutritionally, it's a no-brainer.  I am also learning more about how foods are processed and refined and it makes me happier with my decision when I read about the different chemical processes that our food undergoes to arrive in our stores in an attractive and tasty package.  There are also environmental impacts with these things (just a little bit of a tree-hugger, I promise).  If you aren't a home cook, there are good options for whole grain breads, tortillas, cereals, and even some snacks that you can buy ready-made.

I will discuss the other foods I mentioned in future posts, but for now, where do you fall on the grain spectrum?  Do you notice a difference in your life with the food choices you make?  Is it hard to get your family on board?

No comments:

Post a Comment