Thursday, November 14, 2013

Fried Rice Recipe

I want to share with you a dinner "recipe" that I use when I

  1. Have leftovers to use up
  2. Don't have much time to cook
  3. Want to hide nutritious foods in a meal
I used quotation marks around the word recipe because it's not really a recipe, more of an idea.  We call it fried rice and my kids love it.  No matter how much I make, it's gone.  Here's how it goes:

  1. Heat up a frying pan or electric skillet to medium hot
  2. Add a little sesame or canola oil
  3. Scramble a few eggs (you can even use leftover scrambled eggs here, just add them later)
  4. Add a little more oil
  5. Dump in some rice (any kind will do--brown, white, sticky, leftover, freshly cooked)
  6. Add any leftover or chopped up chicken, pork, beef
  7. Add cooked veggies such as peas, carrots, corn, green beans
  8. Mix it all together and add lots of soy sauce, tasting as you go
  9. You can garnish it with sesame seeds, green onions, or peanuts, or if you don't want to get fancy,
  10. Serve it as is right in the pan.
The thing I love about this meal is that I literally can clean out my fridge and make one of my kids' favorite meals all in one shot.  And it's a healthy meal.  To up the nutrition factor, think about adding chopped spinach, green peppers, flax seed, etc.  The smaller you chop things, the less likely they'll be able to pick them out and when you stir it all together, you can chock a lot of veggies in there.

Any of the above ingredients is optional, except I guess the rice because then you would be making Fried.  The options are endless.  Tailor it to your family and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment