Monday, November 4, 2013

Life and Death

Yesterday my hubby and I had the bittersweet opportunity to visit with a dear friend who has been given several weeks to live.  Since we saw him last he has lost 90 pounds and aged about 20 years from the horrible effects of cancer and its attendant drugs, which didn't help in his case.  Although we went to say our goodbyes and express our love and support, we came away having been inspired.

As he sat there on the couch with his wife and daughters close, all of them touching each other in some way, he told us of the peace he has.  He told us of the joy they have felt through this experience and the closeness to each other they have gained.  There were tears and sadness at the prospect of separation, but there was mostly joy and gratitude for a life well-lived and loved.  They have a strong belief in our Savior, Jesus Christ and know that theirs will be a temporary separation because of His great atoning sacrifice on the world's behalf.  They have allowed Christ to take their burden and hold them in His arms.

I too have a strong faith in my Savior.  I am not staring death in the face today, but I still have the daily opportunity to decide whether or not to give my burdens (however small) to my Savior and rest in His loving arms.  His Atonement is for overcoming death, but it is also for coming off conquerer in this life.  I can, with Jesus, be the victor over stress, disappointment, anger, hurt, abuse, annoyance, pain, hardship, however great or small.  The list goes on and on.  He is there every minute of the day for me, and for you and for everyone else in this world.  That is why His Atonement is infinite--it spans time and space, and He is my personal friend at the same time He is personally ministering for my dying friend and for you in your need.  I know He is there because I've felt His love comfort me and change me.  I am a new person in Christ, today and forever.

3 comments:

  1. Lesli, I love/need a writing outlet as well. My heart goes out to your friend, but I am also so happy for the eternal perspective and joy that seems to be attending it. Thanks for sharing your testimony! You are a great lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your most tender feelings! I love you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful, Lesli. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete