Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Little Things

It's time to get practical.  I have generalized and philosophized thus far and wanted to start talking about some great ideas that have simplified my daily life.  You'll either realize at this point what a big nerd I am or say to yourself, "why didn't I think of that?"  I hope it is the latter reaction, but at this point in my blogging, I'll pretty much take any reaction I can get because that means someone is reading this.

If I can save 3 minutes today and every day, I save 21 minutes a week.  That adds up fast to give me an extra day each year.  And it's much easier to find ways to save several minutes rather than bigger chunks of time.
For example, my spice racks.  A small part of my life, but ripe with extra minutes to shave off.  Yes I had multiple spice racks.  One was a wedding gift that had preprinted jar lids.  About a quarter of them we never used; one we hadn't even heard of 16 years ago--fenugreek (we threw it into soup once in awhile just for kicks).  Not wanting to be wasteful, I used the 'useless' spice jars anyway, filling them with the spices I use and hoping to remember that the fenugreek jar really had ground sage in it.  One rack was a mother's day gift with jars that weren't labeled and kept me guessing.  When we moved I finally threw away the contents of several that I simply couldn't remember what they were.  Then I got a set of jars sans rack for another gift that I stored in my cupboard next to my stove.  I had to pull out several in order to retrieve the one in the back.  I also am prepared for emergencies like the one I had last time I made a turkey and stuffing when I had no rubbed sage and the stores were sold out--seriously.  Hubby went on a search to no avail and my neighbors didn't have any either.  I know I know.  This is why we moved actually.  So I have a box of spices down in my basement food storage room.  Which adds to the mystery of what is where and what is in that container? 

I cook a lot and make nearly everything from scratch.  I hope I have painted a clear picture of my fiasco of a spice system so you understand when I tell you now how much time I wasted looking for seasonings at dinner time.  Those recipes that are supposed to be 20-minute endeavors took way too long. 

I took the opportunity of a new kitchen to get organized in this failing area of my life and bought new spice jars.  They all match this time.  I have a wide drawer next to my range that was going to be my spice central.  I figured out how many spice jars would fit in that drawer.  I labeled the tops of the jars so I can see them upon opening the drawer and only pull out the one I want.  And, get this:  I alphabetized them.  I know.

I wish I was smart enough to have known what a good system I have before I started, but I really learned the benefits of my good idea after I did it. 

--Spices are in a dark drawer rather than on the countertop which prolongs the shelf life of the spices.

--Spice jars have wide mouths for dipping a teaspoon in.  No more trying to pour out the powdered stuff and have the whole clumpy lot fall out.

--Spices are protected from the greasy kitchen dust in an enclosed location.

I am sure I save myself at least 3 minutes every time I cook and plan on doing some Christmas baking with all the time I accumuluate.  How do you save yourself time in the kitchen?  What are you going to do with your extra time?

3 comments:

  1. Yay!!!!! You are blogging!!! I have loved reading every one of your posts so far. Keep it up. I still have our blog, but have recently gone private, so if you want to read it I can add you to the list to invite you. I just need your email address, but I'm pretty sure I have that. I am turning my blogs into family books, so its kind of fun. I sure miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lesli,
    I have 4 frequently-made recipes (homemade bread, for instance)taped to the inside of my eye-level cupboard nearest my mixer. I never have to go get the cookbook when I make those recipes -just open the cupboard! That saves me a few minutes!
    I also love the white crock on my counter with oft-used utensils (spatulas, whisk, pancake turner, wooden spoon, garlic press, etc). I can find them instantly -no fumbling around in a drawer.

    ReplyDelete